I mean it...seriously, stop reading and go play outside in this 80-something degree cool wave. I'll meetcha back here tomorrow.
Hello again old friend. (pretend it's tomorrow) Phew! It is steamy out there isn't it? What a change from yesterday. But- good thing you came by today- prepare yourself, after you read through this short list of fun things to do outside on a hot day you won't be able to stop yourself from grabbing all the kids you know, slathering them with SPF and dragging them out of the air conditioning.
So, without further ado...
Top 20 Things to Do Outside on a Hot Day
20. Go swimming- be it pool, pond, creek or ocean or in my case- the plastic baby pool in my backyard, if I can get my son to scootch over
19. Fly a kite.
18. Play shadow tag by stepping on eachother's shadows.
17. Eat a popsicle. Save packing materials and make your own pops by inserting a craft stick into a cup of juice and leaving it in the freezer for a few hours.
16. Go creek walking.
15. Make sun tea by putting a few tea bags into a large glass jar of water and leaving the jar out in the sun for a few hours. Enjoy over ice with honey or sugar added or a fruit or mint garnish. Ooo la la!
14. Make sunprints. Sign your children up for our Sunpainted T's class on August 3rd and they can make an awesome back to school t-shirt with the sun's help! To register,click
12. Blow bubbles. Make your own bubble juice with dishsoap and water...some say add a little sugar, corn syrup or glycerin (avaiable at pharmacies) to make longer lasting strong bubbles.
11. Chase bugs.
10. Tie-dye with berry juice. Blend up fresh or frozen berries to a watery smoothie consistency then dip white or light colored clothing in! Allow to dry flat in the sun then machine wash on own in cold water.
9. Build a fort.
8. Paint yourself...with washable paints, mud, or even pudding- then hose off!
7. Go on a picnic.
6. Watch the clouds.
5. Play a classic outdoor game like Hide and Seek, Sardines or Ghosts in the Graveyard.
4. Read outside. I suggest doing so in a hammock if you have one.
3. Build boat out of natural items and launch it in a nearby puddle, pond or creek. Try this for free during Wild Wednesday- July 14 and August 11- from 1-3 pm at Cantigny!
2. Hug a tree and enjoy it's cool shade.
1. Go to Cantigny!